Version 19.06 is now available for DOWNLOAD!
Changes and Improvements
This version makes a big change to the way project files are saved. Now, they
always save numeric values using a period for the decimal point regardless of
your OS locale (region/language) setting. This makes it possible to collaborate
with others that have a different decimal point setting without going through a
(probably incomplete) repair process. This should also help to avoid bugs. This
change applies to new projects only; old projects load and run same as before
including saving. However, be aware that if your locale does not use a period
for the decimal point, then older versions of Shotcut will try to repair a
project created with this version because the older versions do not have this
Timeline and Keyframes Rulers
We changed the Timeline and Keyframes rulers interval to 5 seconds and
show only HH:MM:SS and no frame units. This makes them cleaner and quicker to
Reorganized Some Video Filters
- Renamed video filter Circular Frame to Crop: Circle.
- Renamed video filter Crop to Crop: Source.
- Renamed video filter Text to Text: Simple.
- Renamed video filter 3D Text to Text: 3D.
- Renamed video filter Overlay HTML to Text: HTML.
- Renamed video filter Blur to Blur: Box.
- Renamed Reduce Noise video filter to Reduce Noise: Smart Blur.
- Changed Export > From to show Source instead of base file name.
- Changed the default for Settings > Display Method back to DirectX on
- Changed maximum duration of Color, Text, and Color Bars clips to
- Increased maximum value of the Timer filter’s Start Delay,
Duration, and Offset parameters to 24 hours.
- Improved Export Job progress and estimated time remaining.
In the previous versions of Shotcut the Blur video filter could create dark
edges on the image. Therefore, 3 new blur filters were added that do not
have this problem:
- Blur: Exponential (fast)
- Blur: Low Pass (fast)
- Blur: Gaussian (slow)
However, they do not support Keyframes or support blurring in only a horizontal
or vertical direction. So, the existing blur filter was retained but renamed
The previous version changed the appearance of the toolbar to address a high
density (DPI) issue on Linux. However, that made the icons larger for most
people. Also, some people would simply hide the main toolbar since it took up
so much space. Now, there are two new options in the View menu:
- Show Text Under Icons (default on)
- Show Small Icons (default off)
- Added Jobs to the main toolbar.
- Reordered panel buttons on main toolbar to match View menu.
Alpha Channel Support for HTML-based Filters
Shotcut can use HTML technologies for video effects, but previously it was
limited at support the existing image or video’s alpha channel (transparency
mask) and would always overwrite it with its own alpha channel, which often
times was opaque. For example, this prevented maintaining transparency when
using 3D text on a transparent color clip. Now, it supports the alpha channel.
Using this, we have new Crop video filters.
Previous versions of Shotcut’s Crop filter did not behave as some expected
because it removes pixels from the edges of the source and thus changes its
aspect ratio. Still, it can be useful when working with sources with a
higher resolution than the project because it does not require one to crop and
then upscale to remove black bars. Therefore, the existing crop filter was
renamed to Crop: Source, and two new crop filters were added using HTML.
- Crop: Circle
- Crop: Rectangle
These two new crop filters can use the HTML alpha channel support by changing
the alpha component of their Color parameter. This is very useful when using
Crop: Rectangle or Crop: Circle while compositing video tracks.
More New Things
- Added Ripple All button to Timeline toolbar.
- Added a vertical Flip video filter.
- Added Reduce Noise: HQDN3D video filter.
- Added Noise: Fast video filter.
- Added Noise: Keyframes video filter.
- Added Add Keyframe button in Keyframes (only on parameters that show a
- Added keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+0-9 to toggle the panels.
- Added Alt 0/+/- shortcuts to adjust the zoom in Keyframes.
- Added Swedish translation.
- Fixed deleting the project file if there was a save error.
- Fixed reliability of Settings > Display Method > Software on Windows.
- Fixed Crop: Source filter not working with Color clip.
- Fixed using filters on Color Bars and other generator clips.
- Fixed audio filters (Compressor, Expander, Limiter, Notch, Reverb) broken
on comma for decimal.
- Fixed alpha video opaque on gaps in Timeline.
- Fixed Convert to Edit-friendly and Reverse if there is no audio track.
- Fixed Measure Video Quality broken.
- Fixed Alpha: Adjust > Invert checkbox on reload.
- Fixed color eye-dropper (picker) error.
- Fixed audio Pan filter channel resets on reload.
- Fixed a crash using Mirror filter before Rotate and Scale or Size
- Fixed poor Reverse audio quality for mp4 and mkv options.
- Fixed the Simple Scroll HTML template may not scroll up or left completely.